AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT JOHN, LIMEHOUSE FIELDS: HALLEY STREET, TOWER HAMLETS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P93/JN1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT JOHN, LIMEHOUSE FIELDS: HALLEY STREET, TOWER HAMLETS
Date(s): 1853-1955
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.58 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John, Limehouse Fields | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint John's was constructed in 1853. The church was bombed in 1940 and services held for a time in Saint Luke, Burdett Road (P93/LUK). In 1948 a small temporary church was built on the site of Saint John's, dedicated to Saint Matthew and Saint John, to serve the parishes of Saint John's and Saint Matthew, Salmon Lane (P93/MTW2). The name was changed in 1951 to Saint John and Saint Matthew. It is advisable to consult the records of the two parishes in conjunction for the post-1945 period. In 1956 the united parish was abolished and was divided between Saint Dunstan with All Saints (P93/DUN) and Saint Anne's (P93/ANN).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint John, Halley Street, Limehouse Fields; including registers of baptisms, marriages and funerals; registers of church services; Vestry and Parish Council minutes; financial accounts; papers relating to the restoration of the church building; and papers relating to the parish national school.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the Rector of St Dunstan's, Stetney, in the London County Record Office, 22 November 1955.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING