AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MICHAEL, WOOD STREET: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MIC7
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MICHAEL, WOOD STREET: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1559-1967
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.20 linear metres (60 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Michael, Wood Street, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

History of the united parish:

The church of Saint Mary Staining was destroyed in the Great Fire of London, 1666, and not rebuilt. The parish united with Saint Michael Wood Street in 1670 and Saint Alban Wood Street in 1894.

The church of Saint Michael Wood Street was first mentioned in 1170. It was burned down in the Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1670-75 and demolished in 1894 under the Union of City Benefices Act. The parish united with that of Saint Alban Wood Street.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Saint Michael, Wood Street, City of London, including parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials) from 1559, vestry minutes from 1692, churchwardens' accounts from 1619 and rate assessments from 1644.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English and Latin.

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates, E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1897. The most recent deposit was in 1966. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with St Alban Wood St (P69/ALB), St Olave Silver St (P69/OLA3), St Mary Staining (P69/MRY13). In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parish of St Michael Wood Street was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests, 1351-1768, have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/113-14].


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING