AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HOLY TRINITY, UPPER TOOTING: TRINITY ROAD, WANDSWORTH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/TRI2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HOLY TRINITY, UPPER TOOTING: TRINITY ROAD, WANDSWORTH
Date(s): 1855-1983
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 17.67 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Holy Trinity, Upper Tooting | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Built of Bath stone in the early English style, Holy Trinity Church was consecrated on 2 June 1855. Created out of part of the ancient parish of Streatham, the establishment of the parish was the work of John Richard Nicholl, rector of Streatham for 61 years (he was also instrumental in the foundation of 17 other churches.) Upper Tooting in 1855 was a village of about 1000 people and Canon Nicholl was strongly criticised for building a church capable of seating 650. His confidence, however, was justified for in less than 40 years the population rose to over 10,000. The flourishing parish established a mission district in the early 1880's and on 10 March 1931 the parish church of Saint Augustine was consecrated making the mission district a parish in its own right.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Holy Trinity, Trinity Road, Upper Tooting, including registers of baptisms, marriages and banns; registers of church services; papers relating to the maintenance of the church; papers relating to the vicarage; financial records; and papers relating to parish societies.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited by the incumbent, 8 May 1989 and by the churchwardens, 16 October 1989.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING