AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/GEO
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1858-1963
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.91 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St George, Tufnell Park | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint George was founded by Henry Hampton, the minister at Saint Luke's temporary church, who resigned and with other seceders built a new temporary church. The church was not licenced for Anglican worship so the congregation, some 900 strong, formed the Free Church of England. Hampton left in 1863 and the replacement vicar was officially recognised, whereupon a parish was assigned.

The first church building was built of wood. This was replaced in 1866 by a church of Kentish ragstone, designed by George Truefitt. The church was sold in 1970. Services moved to the parish hall until a new church was consecrated in 1975, designed by Clive Alexander.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St George, Tufnell Park, Islington, including registers of baptisms and registers of marriages. Includes baptisms at Holloway Prison.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in July 1967.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"