AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/JUD
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1868-1976
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.78 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Jude, East Brixton | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Jude on Dulwich Road, East Brixton, was constructed between 1867 and 1868. The site of the church was donated by Joseph Moore and Herbert Dalton, while Joshua Blackburn contributed towards the cost of building. The architect was E.C. Robins, who designed a conventional Victorian Gothic building. A district chapelry was assigned to the church in 1869. The church was damaged by fire in 1923, and again damaged by bombing during the Second World War. In 1952 part of the church was enclosed to form a chapel until the rest of the church could be repaired.

The parish has now been amalgamated with Saint Matthew's, Brixton, to form the parish of St Matthew with St Jude.

Source of information: 'Tulse Hill and Brockwell Park', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 155-166.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Jude, East Brixton, comprising baptism registers and marriage registers.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1999.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"