AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/JNA1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1868-1962
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.22 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John the Divine, Kennington | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint John the Divine originated in a mission established in a school, in response to rapid population growth in this area of Kennington from the 1860s onwards. In 1867-1868 a new building was constructed, with a ground floor room acting as the church and the upper floor as a school. In 1871 a site on Vassall Road was obtained, designs for a permanent church were commissioned from architect George Edmund Street, and building began. Part of the church was completed by 1873 but completion was delayed until an anonymous gift of 10,000 allowed the construction of the nave to go ahead. The church was consecrated in November 1874. A tower and spire were added in 1888. The church has been described as a masterpiece of the Gothic revival movement. The building was damaged by bombing during the Second World War, although restoration was begun in 1955.

Source of information: 'Brixton: Lambeth Wick estate', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 108-122.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint John the Divine, Kennington, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns, confirmations and church services; records of parish administration and finance; manuscript sermons; Churchwardens' records, Parochial Church Council and Vestry minutes.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the vicar, January 1956 and April 1981.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"