AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT THOMAS, NORTH KENSINGTON: KENSAL ROAD, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P84/TMS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT THOMAS, NORTH KENSINGTON: KENSAL ROAD, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Date(s): 1889-1981
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.89 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Thomas, Kensal Road, North Kensington | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The original church of Saint Thomas was built in 1889 to the designs of Demaine and Brierley of York. The site was purchased by trustees of the Bishop of London's Church Building Fund for 800 and a large of part of the building's expenses was paid for from funds which had accrued from the amalgamation in 1886 of the benefice of Saint Thomas in the Liberty of the Rolls and that of Saint Dunstan's in the West.

During World War Two the church was severely damaged by enemy action. In 1951 the benefice was united with that of Saint Andrew and Saint Philip Goldborne Road and in 1967 Saint Thomas's was completely rebuilt to the designs of Romilly B. Craze.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Thomas, Kensal Road, North Kensington, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and church services; financial accounts; Parochial Church Council and Vestry meeting minutes; and parish magazines.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited 21 October 1963 and 3 December 1990.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Survey of London", Volume XXXVII (1973), LMA Library referene 92.1 GLC. The Notting Hill and Holland Park Book, Tames, Richard, (2004), LMA Library reference 92.11 NOT.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING