AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT FAITH, WANDSWORTH: EBNER STREET, WANDSWORTH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/FAI
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT FAITH, WANDSWORTH: EBNER STREET, WANDSWORTH
Date(s): 1880-2004
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.17 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Faith, Wandsworth | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Faith District was established on 29 September 1880 under the Diocese of Rochester. In February 1881, an old school room in Warple Way was converted into the Saint Faith District Mission Church of Saint Cecilia. It offered parishioners a wide range of social and religious activities. Baptisms from November 1880 onwards were recorded in a register titled 'Saint Faith Parish, Wandsworth' by Reverend R Taylor, later vicar of Saint Faith church. The mission house, adjoining the church was known as Saint Faith Mission House.

The mission church served the district's growing population of over 7,400, but had capacity for only 325 people. A site for a new church, Saint Faith, was purchased for 1500 and donations and subscriptions were sought for its construction. Saint Faith church was consecrated on All Saints Day [November] 1883 and included stained glass panels by William Morris. In July 1884 'The Consolidated Chapelry of Saint Faith Wandsworth' was formed through unification of parts of the adjoining parishes of Saint Anne Wandsworth (P95/ANN) and Saint John Battersea.

In 1905 Saint Faith changed jurisdiction when the Diocese of Rochester was taken over by the Diocese of Southwark.

In 1967 a Christian Service Centre, based at 15 Alma Road, was formed as a collaborative initiative of several Christian denominations led by Saint Faith. The Centre operated for a number of years before becoming a Mission Centre with the involvement of the Community of the Glorious Ascension (CGA brothers and sisters, Anglican nuns and monks) in 1972. Working nuns from this order later became involved in the management and teaching at Saint Faith school.

Parochial Church Council minutes demonstrate that plans to demolish the original church building and build a new church complex were in place as early as the 1960s. In 1968, the church tower was demolished due to structural problems. However, it was only in 1974 that the original church building was declared redundant and was demolished in preparation for construction of a new church and school complex. The organ and various artefacts were rescued prior to demolition and distributed or sold to other parishes and organisations (see P95/FAI/G/02). The original William Morris glass panels were rescued by parishioners and stored locally until the construction of the new building. Some of the panels were later re-used in the new church (see P95/FAI/E/01/11/005).

Saint Faith church and school continued to function in temporary accommodation over the following years while the new project was being planned and developed. The collection includes proposed plans from two architects' practices, Thomas F. Ford and Partners and Robert Maguire and Keith Murray, as well as the final plans by Hans Haenlein Associates, who were eventually entrusted with the project (see P95/FAI/E/01/05/). The new Saint Faith complex was dedicated on The Feast of Saint George the Martyr, 23 April 1988.

Saint Faith is now a parish within the Diocese of Southwark, Kingston Episcopal Area, Wandsworth Archdeaconry, Deanery of Wandsworth.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Faith, Ebner Street, Wandsworth, including baptism registers (1880-1948); marriage registers (1884-1964); banns registers (1933-1963); service registers (1883-1991); Vestry minutes, Parochial Church Council minutes (1962-2004); school managers' minutes (1984-1988); accounts; correspondence; magazines; service sheets; plans; and photographs.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Listed in accordance with LMA Listing guidelines and classification scheme introduced October 2007. Arranged by sub-fonds then into series and (where appropriate) sub-series; thereafter files are listed in chronological order by creation date.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in October 2005.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING