AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT FAITH UNDER SAINT PAUL: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/FAI
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT FAITH UNDER SAINT PAUL: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1645-1946
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.82 linear metres (87 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Faith under St Paul, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Faith under Saint Paul was originally above ground, but was removed c.1255 for the extension of Saint Paul's Cathedral, and granted a space in the crypt. In 1551 it was moved to a larger and lighter area of the crypt. After the Great Fire, no new church or chapel was built, and the parish of Saint Faith under Saint Paul was united to the parish of Saint Augustine Watling Street in 1670. They were, in turn, united to the parish of Saint Mary le Bow in 1954.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Faith under Saint Paul's, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials; Churchwardens' accounts; plans; poor rate, church rate and tithe rate assessments; and papers relating to parish poor relief.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

P69/FAI/A: Parish Registers; P69/FAI/B: Vestry and Parish Officers; P69/FAI/C: Rate Assessments and Inhabitants Lists.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes under mother church Saint Mary le Bow have been deposited with the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section at various dates since 1900. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Augustine, Watling Street (P69/AUG). Mother church since 1954: Saint Mary le Bow (P69/MRY7).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING