AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY THE BOLTONS, WEST BROMPTON: KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P84/MRY1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY THE BOLTONS, WEST BROMPTON: KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Date(s): 1849-1993
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.39 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary the Boltons, West Brompton | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Mary's Church (commonly known as Saint Mary the Boltons) was built in 1850 and consecrated in October of that year. A parish was assigned to the church in December 1850 out of the parish of Holy Trinity, Brompton Road, Kensington.

In 1854 a National School associated with Saint Mary's was established at Chelsea Grove, moving to Filston Road in 1878. The school was mixed until 1871 when it became a girls' and infants' school. At the outbreak of the Second World War Saint Mary's National School was scheduled for closure. It never reopened after its pupils were evacuated to the countryside.

By an Order in Council of December 1972 Saint Mary's absorbed the neighbouring parish of Saint Peter, Cranley Gardens, which had been created out of Saint Mary's in 1867. The united parishes became known as Saint Mary with Saint Peter, West Brompton. Saint Mary's remained the parish church. Records of Saint Peter's prior to the amalgamation are listed as P84/PET1.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St Mary the Boltons, West Brompton, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns, confirmations and church services; annual reports; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to charities; financial records; records relating to the construction and maintenance of the church; papers of church societies; papers of the Saint Mary's National School; and parish magazines. The series includes records of The Boltons Association, a voluntary residents' association established in 1970 for The Boltons Conservation Area.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the incumbent, 21 February 1983, 19 February 1985 and 9 June 1986. Additional records (P84/MRY1/116-222) deposited at GLRO on 12 August 1994.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING