AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARK, NOTTING HILL: SAINT MARK'S ROAD, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P84/MRK
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARK, NOTTING HILL: SAINT MARK'S ROAD, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Date(s): 1862-1971
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.65 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mark, Notting Hill | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Mark, Notting Hill, was built in 1863 in the middle of fields west of Ladbroke Grove. The building is in a Gothic style with bands of brick and stone, flying buttresses and a spire. In 1871 the average congregation numbered over 1,000 drawn from 'both the higher middle class and the poor'.

The architect was E. Bassett Keeling and the builders, Dove Brothers. It cost 6,000 and provided 1,486 sittings, 500 of which were free: the Church was consecrated on 27 November 1863. In the Building News of 1869 it was described as 'an atrocious specimen of coxcombry in architecture'. Pevsner naming the architect as Basset Keeling 'with all the ham-fisted ugliness which he commanded. A madly asymmetrical facade with a South West spire and a wild use of multi-coloured brick.'

The building has since been considerably modified.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mark, Notting Hill, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and confirmations; church services registers; preachers' books; papers relating to parish boundary changes; orders of service; financial accounts; Churchwardens' records; papers relating to church buildings, fixtures and fittings; records of the Parochial Church Council; papers relating to parish schools; and newsletters.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records P84/MRK/1 - 174 deposited in 1968. Records P84/MRK/175 - 220 deposited in 1973. Records P84/MRK/221 - 238 deposited in 1973 and 1975. Records P84/MRK/239 - 243 deposited in 1990.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Notting Hill in Bygone Days (Florence Gladstone & Ashley Barker) LMA Library reference 92.11(NOT).
Survey of London Volume 37: North Kensington, LMA Library reference 92.1.
Buildings of England Volume 2 (Pevsner) LMA Library reference 67.0 1952.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING