AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P88/ALL1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1711-1992
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.75 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Saints, Poplar | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Poplar Chapel or East India Chapel, a chapel of ease to Saint Dunstan, Stepney, was founded by the East India Company. In 1823 a new church, All Saints, built to the east of the old chapel, became a parish church for Poplar. The records of the chapel were transferred to the new church. The chapel with its burial ground remained in use and in 1867 it was made the parish church of a new parish, Saint Matthias (P88/MTS).

In July 1952 All Hallows, East India Docks (P88/ALH1) and Saint Frideswide, Follett Street (P88/FRD) were united with All Saints, and registers and records after this date relate to the united benefice. In September 1964 All Saints became part of the South Poplar Area Ministry.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of All Saints, East India Dock Road, Poplar, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; registers of church services; correspondence of the Churchwardens; financial records; Vestry meeting minutes; papers relating to parish charities; and parish magazines.

Also papers relating to civil functions of the parish, comprising bills of the Overseers of the Poor and a report book for the Poplar and Blackwall workhouse.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in January 1963, June 1969, August 1990, January 1991 and 1997. Records of the Hamlet of Poplar and Blackwall, transferred from the records of the Board of Guardians in the London County Record Office, September 1961.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"