AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT JAMES, RATCLIFFE: BUTCHER ROW, TOWER HAMLETS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P93/JS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT JAMES, RATCLIFFE: BUTCHER ROW, TOWER HAMLETS
Date(s): 1890-1946
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.54 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James, Ratcliffe | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint James' was the first church built in Stepney by the Bishop Blomfield Metropolitan Churches Fund. Designed by Edward Laoidge, it was consecrated in August 1833. The church was gutted by incendiary bombs on September 7th 1940. In 1951 the parish was united to Saint Paul's, Shadwell (P93/PAU3) and the ruins taken down. The site was added to a public garden which had already been laid out in the old graveyard.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the church of Saint James, Butcher Row, Ratcliffe, comprising registers of baptisms and marriages; papers relating to applcations for building licences; and papers relating to parish reorganisations.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records of St James' Church, Ratcliffe Stepney, deposited in the Greater London Record Office by the Rector of St George in the East and Priest in Charge of St Paul, Shadwell, 17 October 1980.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING