AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT THOMAS, AGAR TOWN: CAMDEN

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P90/TMS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT THOMAS, AGAR TOWN: CAMDEN
Date(s): 1863-1948
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.68 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Thomas, Agar Town | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Variously called 'Ague Town' or 'Hagar Town', Agar Town was infamous for being a slum without water supply or proper drainage. A report in 1847 stated that about 5,000 people lived in Agar Town; there was no school, church or chapel other than the Old Saint Pancras church which was in the process of being restored. A temporary iron church was therefore erected in Agar Town, together with a Ragged School. Building of a permanent church began in 1859, under the supervision of S.S. Teulon, but it was never completed. The Agar Town church, named Saint Thomas, was sited in Wrotham Road in 1863. It has now been demolished, and the parish united to Saint Michael, Camden Road.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Thomas, Agar Town, including registers of baptisms; registers of marriages; register of banns of marriage; and a parish magazine.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records of St. Thomas' Church deposited by the Vicar of St. Michael's Church, in the London County Record Office, 19 June 1964; with a further accession in 2005.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING