AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P93/PAU1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1858-1938
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.87 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Paul, Bow Common | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Paul, Bow Common, consecrated in 1858, was financed by William Cotton of Leytonstone, and was also known as Cotton's Church. The church was bombed during the Second World War, and the building was completely demolished. Baptisms were subsequently performed at Holy Trinity, Mile End Old Town (P93/TRI), and then at Saint Barnabas Mission Church, until the parish was united with Saint Luke, Burdett Road (P93/LUK) in 1951. A new church for the parish of Saint Paul was begun in 1958 and consecrated in 1960; the architect was Robert Maguire, and its design, innovative and modernist is based on the ideals of the Liturgical Movement.

From 1944 until July 1951 the registers of Saint Luke Burdett Road, where the congregation met, were used by Saint Paul's and from July 1951 to July 1958 the same registers of Saint Luke's were used by the congregation of the united parish of Saint Paul, Bow Common and Saint Luke, Burdett Road. Saint Luke's church was abandoned by the congregation in July 1958 for Saint Barnabas Mission church, baptisms being entered in the Saint Paul's registers. A separate register of marriages was kept for Saint Paul's until July 1951, when marriages were all entered in the Saint Luke's registers, until these were closed in July 1958 and the Saint Paul's registers again brought into use for the united parish.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Paul, Bow Common, including registers of baptisms, marriages and church services.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in September 1961.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"