AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT SAVIOUR, CLAPHAM: CEDARS ROAD, LAMBETH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/SAV
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT SAVIOUR, CLAPHAM: CEDARS ROAD, LAMBETH
Date(s): 1874-1941
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.39 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Saviour, Clapham | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

James Knowles was responsible for the construction of the Cedars Estate in Clapham, and Saint Saviour was his maiden church. The parish was created from Holy Trinity, Clapham Common North Side (P95/TRI1). The church was built in the Decorated Gothic style of Kentish Ragstone and Bath stone fittings by Myers in 1864 and paid for by Reverend Fitzwilliam Wentworth Atkins Bowyer, Lord of the Manor and Rector. The church started life as chapel of ease to Holy Trinity.

Consecration took place on 11 November 1873 and the church became the Parish Church in about 1876. The church was bombed during the Second World War and subsequently demolished. In 1962 London County Council purchased the site for redevelopment and an apartment block (190 Cedars Road) was built on the site.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Saviour, Cedars Road, Clapham, including register of baptisms and marriages; minutes of the Vestry and Church Council; financial and administrative records; and papers relating to maintenance works at the church, including faculties and plans.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records of St Saviour, Cedars Road, Clapham, Wandsworth, deposited by the Rector of Holy Trinity, Clapham, in the London County Record Office, 2 August 1956 and 25 July 1957. Additional records of the parish of St Saviour, Cedars Road, London SW4, deposited by the Rector of Holy Trinity Church, Clapham Common, London SW4, in the Greater London Record Office, on 19 January 1987.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING