AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/AND1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1854-1960
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Saint Andrew, Barnsbury | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Saint Andrew, Thornhill Square, Barnsbury, was established in 1854 from parts of the parishes of Holy Trinity and All Saints. The site of the church was donated by George Thornhill. The building was constructed in 1852 to 1854, designed by F.B. Newman and John Johnson. Parts of the parish were assigned to Saint Thomas, Barnsbury, and Saint Michael, although the latter was later restored. The church ran a mission hall in Giford Street between 1882 and 1952. Open air services were also held. In 1953 the parish was united with Saint Thomas, Barnsbury, with Saint Matthias in 1956, and with Holy Trinity in 1980.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Andrew, Barnsbury, including registers of baptisms and marriages; minute books; cash books; registers of preachers; church service registers; financial records and Parochial Church Council records.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records P83/AND1/034-P83/AND1/033 deposited by the Vicar on the 14 September 1967 and records P83/AND1/034-P3/AND1/052/2-4 deposited by the Vicar on the 11 September 1979.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"