AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT SWITHIN, LONDON STONE: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/SWI
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT SWITHIN, LONDON STONE: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1536-1954
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.4 linear metres (103 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Swithin, London Stone, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Swithin London Stone was situated on Cannon Street. It was an medieval church, rebuilt by Wren in 1677-1685 in an unusual cube shape covered by an octagonal dome. It was destroyed during the Second World War. The parish had been united to Saint Mary Bothaw (P69/MRY6) in 1670 after the latter was destroyed by the Great Fire in 1666.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Swithin, London Stone, Cannon Street, City of London, including parish registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns, Vestry minutes, Churchwardens' accounts, deeds, poor rate and tithe rate assessments and miscellaneous administrative papers.

Records of the London Stone District Visiting Society, 1830-1854, 2 volumes: This was a charitable society for visiting families and distributing religious tracts, and also linen, bread, coal etc. Little is known about the society. An undated (but ca.1830s or 1840s) printed notice bound into Ms 3367 gives the secretary's name as J. C. Bowles and indicates that the society was run by a committee which met at 16 Walbrook. The records of the society were deposited with the records of the parish of St Swithin London Stone in 1938 and catalogued shortly afterwards by a member of Guildhall Library staff. They comprise a cash book 1830-54 (P69/SWI/D/02/MS03366) and a summary of visits and payments made 1831-43 (P69/SWI/D/03/MS03367).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates, E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of St Swithin and St Mary Bothaw were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

P69/MRY6: St Mary Bothaw.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING