AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/BRI
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1587-1969
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 18.8 linear metres (655 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Bride, Fleet Street, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

During excavations, the remains of a Roman house were found in the crypt of Saint Bride's, alongside the foundations of seven different churches dating from the 6th to the 17th centuries. It appears that the first church was founded by Saint Bridget, an Irish saint of the 6th century. This church was replaced by a Norman building which in turn was rebuilt in the 15th century. After Wynkyn de Worde established the first printing press in Fleet Street, the area attracted many writers who were parishioners of Saint Brides; including de Worde himself, John Dryden, John Milton, Richard Lovelace, and John Evelyn. Samuel Pepys was christened here.

The church was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666, and was replaced by one of Wren's largest and most expensive churches. The famous spire was added in 1701-03. Mr Rich, a pastry cook in Fleet Street, became famous for his wedding cakes modelled on the tiered arcades of the spire. In 1940 the church was badly damaged by bombing (allowing the excavations mentioned above). It was restored to the original designs. The parish was united with Holy Trinity Gough Square.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Bride, Fleet Street, City of London. The records include parish registers (baptisms, marriages, banns, burials, church services) from 1587, but the main archive dates from the 17th century, including vestry minutes from 1644 and poor rate and tithe rate assessments from 1666. Other records include Churchwardens' accounts and papers relating to parish charities.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English and Latin.

System of arrangement:

To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: P69/BRI/A Parish registers; P69/BRI/B Vestry and parish officers; P69/BRI/C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; P69/BRI/D Charities and estates; P69/BRI/E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of the parish have been deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at varous dates since 1900. The most recent deposit was in 1983. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

P69/TRI1: Holy Trinity Gough Square.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"