AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MICHAEL CORNHILL: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MIC2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MICHAEL CORNHILL: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1455-1986
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.15 linear metres (521 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Michael Cornhill, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Michael Cornhill is first mentioned in records of 1055. The church burned down during the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was rebuilt in 1670-71 by Wren, although the tower was finished in 1718-22 by Hawksmoor. The parish of Saint Michael Cornhill was united to the parishes of Saint Benet Fink and Saint Peter le Poer in 1906.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

The main archive of St Michael Cornhill dates from the 16th century, but it includes churchwardens' accounts from 1455. Records include registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; preachers' books; church services registers; Vestry minute books; papers of the Churchwardens; papers relating to parish poor relief; tithe rate assessments; poor rate assessments; papers of parish charities and deed and other documents for parish properties.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since the late 19th century. The most recent deposit was in 1998. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Peter le Poer (reference P69/PET2) and Saint Benet Fink (reference P69/BEN1). In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parishes of St Benet Fink, St Peter le Poer and St Michael Cornhill was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [St Benet Fink, 1653-1791: Ms 23737/117-118; St Peter le Poer, 1516/17-1839: Ms 23737/129-34; St Michael Cornhill, 1657-1836: Ms 23737/97-103].


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING