AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/EMM2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1872-1986
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.75 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Emmanuel, West Dulwich | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Emmanuel, West Dulwich was formed from part of the parish of Saint Luke's West Norwood and from part of the parish of Saint Stephen's, College Road, in the late nineteenth century. A temporary iron church was opened in September 1872 under licence from the Bishop of Winchester. A permanent church was consecrated in 1877 under the Bishop of Rochester. From around 1923/4 it was in the diocese of Southwark. In 1966 Emmanuel was joined with All Saints, West Dulwich becoming a Conventional District of that parish. A new church was built in 1967 after the demolition of the older one.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Emmanuel, West Dulwich, including registers of baptisms, marriages, confirmations and banns; registers of church services; papers relating to parish missions; administrative papers including correspondence; papers relating to parish boundaries including plans; Churchwardens' papers; correspondence and faculties regarding the church and church hall; Parochial Church Council minutes; and financial records.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited by the Incumbent, 23 March 1992.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"