AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARGARET, PUTNEY: PUTNEY PARK LANE, WANDSWORTH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/MGT
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARGARET, PUTNEY: PUTNEY PARK LANE, WANDSWORTH
Date(s): 1910-1991
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.95 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Margaret, Putney | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Margaret, Putney started life as a private Baptist Chapel, known as Granard Chapel, built in the grounds of Granard Lodge by Colonel Croll. It was subsequently used as a Presbyterian chapel until 1898 when the Presbyterian congregation moved to a new church at the corner of Briar Walk.

In 1910, Seth Taylor, who had acquired Granard Lodge, offered the chapel to the vicar of Putney and promised to make annual contributions towards the stipend of the Curate-in-Charge. The church was consecrated 5 October 1912 and dedicated to Saint Margaret.

After the First World War the London County Council purchased Dover House. The new estate increased the population very rapidly from 1,200 to nearly 10,000, and it was felt necessary to enlarge the church of Saint Margaret and constitute it as a separate parish. By 11 October 1923 the formalities were completed and Mr Wallis was instituted as the first vicar, 19 February 1924. The foundation stone of the enlarged church was laid in October 1925 and the extension consecrated in February 1926. A vicarage was bought and four years later a church hall was built in the Pleasance.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Margaret, Putney Park Lane, Putney, including registers of baptisms, marriages, and banns; church services registers; papers relating to construction and maintenance works at the church and church hall; financial records; Parochial Church Council minutes, orders and correspondence; electoral rolls and parish magazines.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in October 1983 with further accessions in September 1987, December 1991 and March 1999.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING