AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT LEONARD, STREATHAM: STREATHAM HIGH ROAD, LAMBETH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/LEN
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT LEONARD, STREATHAM: STREATHAM HIGH ROAD, LAMBETH
Date(s): 1538-1981
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.54 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Leonard, Streatham | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Leonard's is the ancient parish church of Streatham. The present church was built in 1830-1831 (with later additions and reconstructions) to replace an earlier church built about 1350. The old church had fallen in whilst undergoing repairs but the tower and steeple were retained as they were still in good repair. The architectural style was Gothic and the design was by architect Joseph T Parkinson. The chancel, designed by William Dyce, the painter, was added in 1862. William Dyce was a church warden of Saint Leonard's and he is commemorated by a large brass plaque. On 3 January 1841 the tower was struck by lightning causing a fire which destroyed the steeple, but the body of the church remained unharmed.

During the Second World War a bomb fell in the churchyard between the church and rectory, no one was hurt but the chancel, organ and roof were badly damaged and only one stained glass window remained intact. On 5 May 1975 the church again was damaged when it was gutted by fire. Saint Leonard's was restored and the interior completely rebuilt by the Douglas Feast partnership in 1975-1977.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Leonard, Streatham High Road, Streatham, including papers relating to a legal dispute; financial accounts; registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns; papers relating to tithes; Parochial Church Council minutes; church services registers; papers relating to parish boundaries; papers relating to the construction and maintenance of the church including faculties and specifications; administrative papers; and papers relating to the parish schools.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records P95/LEN/1-59 deposited in 1956. Records P95/LEN/60-91 deposited in 1968. Records P95/LEN/92-97 deposited in 1976. Records P95/LEN/98-132 deposited in 1990.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING