AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/PET2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1561-1947
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Peter le Poer, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Peter le Poer on Old Broad Street was first mentioned in 1181. The church was enlarged and repaired in 1615-30; and escaped serious damage during the Great Fire of London in 1666. By 1788 the church was in a poor state of repair and jutted out into Broad Street, obstructing traffic. It was rebuilt by 1792. In 1907 it was demolished. The site and materials were sold and the proceeds went towards the construction of Saint Peter le Poer, Friern Barnet.

The parish of Saint Benet Fink was united to the parish of Saint Peter le Poer in 1842. The parish of Saint Michael Cornhill was united to the parishes of Saint Benet Fink and Saint Peter le Poer in 1906.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Peter le Poer, Old Broad Street, City of London, including parish registers (baptisms, marriages, banns, burials) dating from 1561, the rest of the archive dates from the 17th century and includes Vestry minutes; Churchwardens' and Overseers' financial accounts; poor rate books and tithe rate books.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since the late 19th century. The most recent deposit was in 1998. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Michael Cornhill (P69/MIC2). In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parishes of St Benet Fink, St Peter le Poer and St Michael Cornhill was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [St Benet Fink, 1653-1791: Ms 23737/117-118; St Peter le Poer, 1516/17-1839: Ms 23737/129-34; St Michael Cornhill, 1657-1836: Ms 23737/97-103].

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"