AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MRY15
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1523-1987
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.14 linear metres (209 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary Woolnoth, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Mary Woolnoth is first recorded in 1273. It is situated on the corner of Lombard Street and King William Street. It was rebuilt in 1442. It was repaired by Wren after the Great Fire of London, 1666, rebuilt by Hawksmoor, 1726-27, and restored in 1876. It is now a guild church. The parish was united with Saint Mary Woolchurch Haw after that church was demolished after the Great Fire.


Scope and content/abstract:

The main archive of Saint Mary Woolnoth dates from the 16th century with parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials, banns) from 1538, vestry minutes from 1679 and poor rate, church rate and tithe rate assessments from 1672. Also church services registers; Guild Church Council minute books; Churchwardens' acounts, vouchers and papers; Overseers' books of receipts and payments and other papers relating to poor relief.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English and Latin.

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections, each with a classification code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of these parishes have been deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1901. The most recent deposit was in 2001. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Mary Woolchurch Haw, see P69/MRY14.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"