AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/PET1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1857-1979
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.49 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Peter, Vauxhall | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Saint Peter, Vauxhall was created from part of the district chapelry of Saint Mary-the-Less in 1861. The church, which was designed by John Loughborough Pearson, was consecrated on 28 June 1864. Saint Paul's Chapel, Miller Lane (now Saint Oswald's Place) was used as a temporary church for the district whilst the church of Saint Peter was being built. In 1983 the parish became part of North Lambeth Parish.

For a description of the design and building of the church and a discussion of the Reverend Robert Gregory's social experiment in the provision of schools, including an art school, and a soup kitchen and orphanage connected to the church see pp 64-78 and 259-60 of the monograph John Loughborough Pearson by Anthony Quiney (Yale UP, 1979).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Peter, Kennington Lane, Vauxhall, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and confirmations; registers of preachers and church services; Parochial Church Council minute books; papers relating to parish schools, charities and societies; and financial accounts.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1983 and 1985.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"