AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT BENET FINK: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/BEN1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT BENET FINK: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1538-1984
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.2 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Benet Fink, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The first mention of the church of Saint Benet Fink dates to 1216. According to historian John Stow, it was named after a Robert Fink (or Finch) who paid for the building. The church was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666. Wren designed a replacement in 1670-1673; however the building was demolished in 1842-1843 to make way for the new Royal Exhange. The parish was united to Saint Peter le Poer (P69/PET2).The church of Saint Benet Fink, Tottenham, was built using the proceeds from the sale of the site.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Benet Fink, Threadneedle Street, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns; minutes of the Vestry and the Parochial Church Council; administrative and legal papers; tithe, poor and church rate assessments; and papers relating to the church estate.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

As the archive is large and complex, and to assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes (St Michael Cornhill, St Benet Fink, St Peter le Poer) have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since the late 19th century. The most recent deposit was in 1998. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Michael Cornhill (reference P69/MIC2). In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parishes of St Benet Fink, St Peter le Poer and St Michael Cornhill was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [St Benet Fink, 1653-1791: Ms 23737/117-118; St Peter le Poer, 1516/17-1839: Ms 23737/129-34; St Michael Cornhill, 1657-1836: Ms 23737/97-103].


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING