AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/LAW1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1518-1983
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 7.73 linear metres (582 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Lawrence Jewry, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

History of the united parishes of Saint Lawrence Jewry, Saint Mary Magdalen Milk Street and Saint Michael Bassishaw:

Saint Lawrence Jewry is situated on Gresham Street, near the Guildhall. It was founded in the 12th century. It was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666, and was rebuilt by Wren in 1671-77. The building was badly damaged by enemy action in 1940, and was rebuilt in 1954-57.

The parish of Saint Mary Magdalen Milk Street was united to the parish of Saint Lawrence Jewry in 1670 after it had been destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. In 1897 the foundations of Saint Michael Bassishaw were severely damaged when the crypt was cleared of human remains; the church was demolished and the parish united to the parish of Saint Lawrence Jewry the same year. Saint Lawrence Jewry now functions as a guild church for the Corporation of London; the Lord Mayor and Corporation have worshipped here since 1820.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Lawrence Jewry, Gresham Street, City of London, including parish registers (baptisms, marriages, banns, burials) from 1538, vestry minutes from 1556 and churchwardens' accounts from 1579. Also administrative papers; plans; Overseers' minutes and accounts; tithe rate and poor rate assessments; leases and other papers relating to property owned by the parish.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English and Latin.

System of arrangement:

To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of the three churches have been deposited in Guildhall Library at various dates since the 1920s. The most recent deposit was in 1989. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Michael Bassishaw, see P69/MIC1. In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parishes of the united parishes was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [St Lawrence Jewry, 1629-1824: Ms 23737/59-64; St Mary Magdalen Milk Street, 1388: Ms 23737/79; St Michael Bassishaw, 1533-1798: Ms 23737/89-96].

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"