AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/TRI1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1637-1980
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 11.55 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Holy Trinity, Clapham | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Holy Trinity was the Ancient parish of Clapham; and an earlier church of that name stood on the site now occupied by Saint Paul's, Rectory Grove. With the increase in population in this area the original church was not considered large enough. The new Holy Trinity was built in 1774-1779 on the common. The architect was Kenton Couse who was also responsible for 10 Downing Street. Consecration took place in June 1776. The burial ground around the old church, later known as Saint Paul's Churchyard, remained in use until 1855 as no burials took place in the churchyard around the present Holy Trinity. In 1812 the portico was added by Francis Hurlbatt. The church was considerably altered in 1875 to A. Blomfield's designs.

Holy Trinity was well known as the church of The Clapham Sect which included Zachary Macaulay, Granville Sharp, William Wilberforce and Henry Thornton. The Sect are commemorated by a plaque.

The church suffered damage during the Second World War when the Lady Chapel was burnt out by incendiary bombs. Restoration and repairs were carried out under the direction of Thomas Ford. Friday 6 June 1952 saw the Rededication of the church following completion of the works.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Holy Trinity, Clapham Common North Side, Clapham, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; church services registers; Trustees minutes; Vestry minutes; annual parochial reports; papers relating to the construction of the church; financial and administrative papers; papers relating to tithes; records of the parish schools; parish magazines; curates' licences; papers relating to parish boundaries; papers of the Parochial Church Council.

Papers relating to the workhouse; settlement examinations; poor rate assessments; financial accounts of the Churchwardens, Overseers of the Poor and Highways Surveyors; and other papers relating to poor relief.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records of Holy Trinity, Clapham, deposited by the Rector in the Greater London Record Office, 21 October 1976.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"