AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, LAMBETH: WATERLOO ROAD, LAMBETH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/JNA3
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, LAMBETH: WATERLOO ROAD, LAMBETH
Date(s): 1825-1973
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.47 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John the Evangelist, Waterloo Road, Lambeth | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint John the Evangelist on Waterloo Road was constructed using funds allocated by the Commissioners for Building New Churches in 1822. These Commissioners had been established by an Act of Parliament in 1818 for the building of new churches in populous areas, particularly around London which was expanding rapidly. The site for the church was purchased from the Archbishop of Canterbury on marshy ground; the advice of John Rennie was sought regarding the foundations. On his recommendation piling was used under all the walls, which still remain strong. An imposing classical design by architect Francis Bedford was chosen. The church was consecrated in November 1824. Renovations and repairs were carried out in 1885 and again in 1924.

A parish school was constructed in Exton Street as soon as the church was finished. In 1844 a new church, All Saints, was constructed to provide more church accommodation in the area, and the parish was taken out of that of Saint John. However, it was demolished to make way for Waterloo Station, and the parishes were merged again. The churchyard was made into a public garden in 1878, although some monuments still survive to the front of the church.

Information from 'Church of St John the Evangelist, Waterloo Road', Survey of London: volume 23: Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall (1951), pp. 32-36.

Royal South London Dispensary: The dispensary was founded in 1821 for the benefit of the poor people of Lambeth, Southwark and Newington. Its premises were situated at Saint George's Cross, Southwark opposite Bethlem Hospital. The dispensary closed in June 1917 owing to lack of the necessary financial support. The minute book was handed over to the Revd. E. G. Gordon, Vicar of Saint John, Waterloo Road, for safe keeping. Other records were to be sold or otherwise disposed of.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St John the Evangelist, Waterloo Road, Lambeth, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns and church services; financial records; Parochial Church Council papers; records of Saint John's schools; papers relating to parish associations and charities; and Royal South London Dispensary records.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records of St John the Evangelist, Waterloo Road, Lambeth, deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB, 30 June 1986.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING