AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/STE1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1466-1953
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 15.3 linear metres (377 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Stephen, Coleman Street, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Stephen Coleman Street was on the west side of Coleman Street near the junction with Gresham Street. In the medieval period it was also known as Saint Stephen Jewry. The advowson was held by the Prior of Butley from the canons of Saint Paul's. During the Civil War it was a low church stronghold. Destroyed in the Great Fire, the church was rebuilt by Wren in 1674-6, but destroyed again by bombing in 1940. The ruins were demolished and the site redeveloped. The parish was united to Saint Margaret Lothbury in 1954.

Other parishes united to Saint Margaret Lothbury: Saint Martin Pomeroy, Saint Bartholomew by the Exchange, Saint Mildred Poultry, Saint Mary Colechurch, Saint Olave Jewry and Saint Christopher le Stocks.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Stephen, Coleman Street, City of London. The collection includes the so-called 'Vellum Book', a record book chiefly of church property dating from 1466 (Ms 4456). The main archive dates from the 15th century and includes churchwardens' accounts from 1486, parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials, banns) from 1538, poor rate and tithe rate assessments from 1592 and vestry minutes from 1622.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants list; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

These records have been deposited since 1920; the most recent deposit was made in 1965. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United to St Margaret Lothbury (P69/MGT1). In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parish of St Stephen Coleman Street was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests, 1583-1889, have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"