AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/CRI
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1483-1908
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.57 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Christopher le Stocks, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Christopher Le Stocks was constructed before 1225 on the banks of the Walbrook stream, which used to run through the City from Finsbury to the Thames. It was also known as Saint Christopher on Cornhill and Saint Christopher on Bread Street; but later came to be known after the nearby Stocks Market. The church was damaged during the Great Fire in 1666 but was rebuilt by Wren in 1670-71. Much of the older church was saved and incorporated into the new design. The church was demolished in 1781-82 and the Dividend Warrant Office was built on the site.

History of the united parishes of Saint Margaret Lothbury, Saint Martin Pomeroy, Saint Bartholomew by the Exchange, Saint Mildred Poultry, Saint Mary Colechurch, Saint Olave Jewry and Saint Christopher le Stocks:

The church of Saint Margaret Lothbury was first mentioned in the 12th century. It was destroyed in the Great Fire and was rebuilt in 1690. The parish of Saint Christopher le Stocks was united to Saint Margaret Lothbury on the demolition of the church in 1781. In 1839 Saint Bartholomew by the Exchange was added when its church was also demolished. The parishes of Saint Martin Pomeroy, Saint Mary Colechurch and Saint Olave Jewry, united to each other in 1670, and Saint Mildred Poultry (united to them in 1871) were added in 1886.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Christopher le Stocks, Threadneedle Street, City of London, including parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials and banns) from 1557; poor rate assessment books; vestry minutes and church wardens' accounts; and a churchwardens' remembrancer, 1483-1725.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

To assist the user, the catalogue has been arrranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of St Margaret Lothbury and the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates. The most recent deposit was in 2006. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United to Saint Margaret Lothbury (P69/MGT1).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"