AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

MIDDLESEX COUNTY ASSOCIATION /LONDON DIOCESAN GUILD OF CHURCH BELL RINGERS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/2428
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: MIDDLESEX COUNTY ASSOCIATION /LONDON DIOCESAN GUILD OF CHURCH BELL RINGERS
Date(s): 1889-2013
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.33 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Middlesex County Association and London Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1889 the North Middlesex Association of Change Ringers put forward a case to Revd D W Barrett to establish the Association on a wider basis in order to promote the cause of change ringing in North Middlesex and South Hertfordshire. As a result, on 17 August 1889, the North Middlesex Association of Change Ringers became the Middlesex Association of Change Ringers.

The South and West Middlesex Guild was established on 4 February 1894 when ringers from Ealing and Isleworth proposed forming an association of bellringers for this district.

During 1896 and 1897 negotiations took place for the amalgamation of the South and West Middlesex Guild and the Middlesex Association of Change Ringers. On 7 June 1897 the Middlesex County Association of Change Ringers was formed "to bring about closer intimacy and a better understanding between the 2 Associations... [for] the advancement of both". The Association comprised 2 districts: the Middlesex Association became known as the North and East District, and the South and West Middlesex became know as the South and West District. The South and West District district was broadly based on the parliamentary divisions of Uxbridge, Brenford, Ealing, Hammersmith and Fulham, and the North and East District on the parliamentary divisions of Harrow, Enfield, Hornsey, Tottenham and Hampstead. For lists of towers in each district see pp 7, 8 and 9 of ACC/2428/9/1. Each district retained its own management and officers, and the affairs of the new County Association were managed by a central committee.

On 10 October 1903, it was decided that the bellringers ought to regard themselves as churchworkers of the diocese and thus ought to have a diocesan name. The title of the Association was therefore amended to Middlesex County Association and London Diocesan Guild of Change Ringers. The name is now Middlesex County Association and London Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers. In February 1984 the South and West District was divided into 2 separate districts: Southern and Western.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Minute books, peal books, annual reports and newsletters of the Middlesex County Association; leaflets and minutes of the Middlesex Association of Change Ringers and minutes, attendance books, financial accounts and administrative papers of the South and West District, including some papers of Percy Venn; and minutes and financial accounts of the North and East District.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

ACC/2428/001-005: Middlesex County Association;
ACC/2428/006-009: Middlesex Association of Change Ringers;
ACC/2428/010-018: North and East District;
ACC/2428/019-027 and 043-044: South and West District.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in May 1987 with an additional deposits in 2007 and 2015.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also A/LBR: London County Association of Church Bell Ringers.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010, updated May 2015.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING