AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/NWC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1674-1957
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.48 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Elizabeth Newcomen School


Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1674 Elizabeth Newcomen, a widow of the parish of St Saviour, Southwark, died leaving a large estate in trust for her godson during his lifetime, and after his death as an endowment for charitable uses in the parish. These included charity schools for boys and girls. The earliest records surviving date from 1706. The schools were run by the Wardens and a Committee who could nominate children for places at the school. From 1808-1840 the Newcomen Schools were united with the parochial schools, but in 1840 the Boys' school separated from the parochial school and by 1849 the Girls' school had followed.

From 1887 the schools were administered by the Governors of the Newcomen Foundation, after the charity was re-established by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners. The Girls' School became Elizabeth Newcomen Secondary Technical School, which closed in 1970.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Elizabeth Newcomen School, Southwark, including minutes of the Governors of the Schools; admission registers; papers concerning Mrs Newcomen's will and a subsequent legal case between the Wardens of St. Saviour's and her godson, Thomas Lant; and the administration of the property which forms the endowment of the charity.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

A/NWC-1: Administration; A/NWC-2: Legal Records; A/NWC-3: Related Records; A/NWC-4: Finance.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

These records were deposited in the former London County Record Office in 1952.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"