AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 O/520
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1800
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.15 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Bridge House Estates | Corporation of London


Administrative/Biographical history:

Bridge House Estates was established by Royal Charter in 1282 with responsibility for the maintenance of London Bridge, and subsequently built Blackfriars Bridge and Tower Bridge and bought Southwark Bridge and the pedestrian-only Millennium Bridge. Bridge House Estates are run by a committee of the City of London Corporation.

Bridge House was the administrative headquarters of the old London Bridge, situated near St Olave's Church. It was formed of properties bequeathed by Peter de Colechurch, the warden of the bridge from 1163, and Henry Fitz Ailwyn, the first Mayor of London in 1189.

The Bridge House Committee was originally part of the City Lands Committee, founded in 1592, but separated in 1818.

Bridge House Estates was originally funded by tolls on London Bridge as well as rents and leases of the buildings along the bridge. It soon acquired extensive property which made it financially self-sufficient. These funds are used to maintain the City bridges, while surplus monies are used to make charitable grants under the City Bridge Trust, established in 1995.


Scope and content/abstract:

Draft terrier of lands and buildings in Saint Georges Fields, Southwark, belonging to the Bridge House Estate. A terrier is an inventory of buildings, land, tenants and so on.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

One document.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records gifted to the archive in January 1956.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For records of Bridge House Estates see CLA/07 and COL/CC/CLBH.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"