AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/BPP
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1812-1953
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.67 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Beaumont Philosophical Institution
People's Palace | Mile End Road


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Beaumont Philosophical Institution was founded in Beaumont Square, Mile End Road, Stepney in 1840 by John Thomas Barber Beaumont, "for the mental and moral improvement of the inhabitants of the said Square, and the surrounding neighbourhood...." In 1882 a new scheme for the Beaumont Trust was drawn up by the Charity Commissioners. The trustees spent the next years raising money to build the People's Palace, Mile End Road, Stepney, the main hall of which was opened by Queen Victoria, 14 May 1887. From the provision of elementary education in the original scheme of 1892, developed the East London Technical College which became a school of London University in 1907. In 1909 the administration of the People's Palace and of East London College was put under two separate committees. A new scheme of administration drawn up by the Charity Commissioners in 1933 separated entirely the People's Palace from the college, which in 1934 received a royal charter and was renamed Queen Mary College.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Beaumont Philosophical Institution and the People's Palace, consisting largely of minutes. There are also reports, letters, accounts, programmes, press cuttings and The Palace Journal, volume I, Nos. 1-16.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

A/BPP/001-002: Reports;
A/BPP/003-024: Minutes;
A/BPP/025-026: Printed items.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in the London County Record Office, on 28 October 1954.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"