AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

NATIONAL SOCIETY'S TRAINING COLLEGE OF DOMESTIC SUBJECTS, BERRIDGE HOUSE

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4061
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: NATIONAL SOCIETY'S TRAINING COLLEGE OF DOMESTIC SUBJECTS, BERRIDGE HOUSE
Date(s): 1909-1989
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.91 linear metres
Name of creator(s): National Society Training College of Domestic Science

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The College was founded in 1893 by the National Society in the disused Brew House of the Archbishop of Canterbury at Lambeth Palace. Here, training was provided for teachers of Cookery and Laundry. Housewifery was added to the curriculum in the first decade of the twentieth century after the College had acquired additional premises in Charles Street, Southwark.

In 1902, under the will of the late Mr Richard Berridge, a large sum of money became available for technical education and in 1904 the Board of Education approved a scheme submitted by the National Society for building a new college. Land was acquired in Hampstead, a Governing Body set up and in 1908 the specially planned building, Berridge House, was completed.

After the move to Hampstead, the curriculum was expanded to include technical courses, and later on, a three year course leading to the Teacher's Certificate of the University of London Institute of Education was offered.

As the College continued to expand, the following premises were also used to provide teaching rooms and accommodation: 54 Fortune Green Road (from October 1913), 52 Fortune Green Road (from September 1915), 13 Parsifal Road (from June 1927), 15 Parsifal Road (from 1929), 6 Parsifal Road (from October 1929) and "the annex", a former church hall, in Fortune Green Road (from September 1930). In 1932 the Field Lane School and its land adjoining the College was bought and adapted. This formed the 'West Wing' which was later re-named Maughan House. In 1937 Holland House was built in the grounds of Maughan House.

During World War One Berridge House was occupied by the WRAF and used as a school for instruction. It re-opened in September 1919. In World War Two the college buildings were requisitioned, and the staff and students moved to Bournemouth. Princes Hotel, Bournemouth, became the college headquarters, Pokesdown Technical Institute at Boscombe provided facilities for teaching cookery, and science and laundry lessons were held in Bournemouth Municipal College. Further accommodation for teaching and residence was found in the hotels in the City.

In March 1945 the National Society requested the Council of the Church Training Colleges to accept Berridge House into its federation. Sixteen years later it was decided that Berridge House should be amalgamated with another church training college, and in 1964 it joined St. Katherine's College, Tottenham, to form the College of All Saints, White Hart Lane, Tottenham. Berridge House continued in use for Home Economics until September 1965.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Papers of the National Society Training College of Domestic Subjects, including magazines, prospectuses, photographs of staff and students; and papers of Miss A Ramage, staff member, including brochures, photographs of the interior and exterior of Berridge House, and papers relating to the Festival of Britain, 1951.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Divided into the following sections: Printed Material LMA/4061/A; Photographs LMA/4016/B; Papers of a staff member LMA/4061/C.

Conditions governing access:

The records are open for consultation.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in April 1998.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For the main series of records of the training college see ACC/0900.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING