AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/KNS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1805-1976
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.92 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Kennington National Schools x Saint Mark Kennington Schools


Administrative/Biographical history:

The 1820's saw the foundation of two schools at the Oval, Kennington. After raising the necessary voluntary subscriptions, the boys' school opened at the end of 1824 and the girls' school in the spring of 1825. The name proposed for the schools was the Kennington and South Lambeth National School, but they were soon referred to as the National Schools or District Schools, even the Oval Schools. In reflection of the close links with Saint Mark's Church, the name was later changed to Saint Mark Kennington Schools. The school is now known as Saint Mark's CE Primary School.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Kennington National Schools, later known as Saint Mark Kennington Schools, including records relating to the management of the schools such as minutes of the Management Committee and correspondence; financial records; pupils' records including log books and admission registers and a history of the schools.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Management committee A/KNS/001-003;
Financial records A/KNS/004-017;
Log books A/KNS/018-028;
Report books and summary registers A/KNS/029-037;
Admission registers and related papers A/KNS/038-050;
Title deeds A/KNS/051-055;
School management A/KNS/056-066;
Financial records A/KNS/067-084;
School property A/KNS/085-089;
Pupils A/KNS/090-121;
History of schools A/KNS/122-123.

Conditions governing access:

These records are open to public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to closure periods.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1979 and 1983.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For records of the parish of Saint Mark, Kennington, see reference P85/MRK.

Publication note:

For a detailed history of the school see P. and H. Silver, The Education of the Poor: History of a National School, 1824-1974, 1974. A copy is held in the Library (22.12 KEN). For a brief history of the school see Survey of London vol. 26 pp.25-27, also available in the Library (86.1 LCC).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"