AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CHRIST CHURCH, NORTH BRIXTON SLATE AND LOAN CLUB

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/CBS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CHRIST CHURCH, NORTH BRIXTON SLATE AND LOAN CLUB
Date(s): 1899-1963
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.32 linear metres (9 files).
Name of creator(s): Slate and Loan Club | Parish of Christ Church, North Brixton
Parish of Christ Church, North Brixton | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

A 'Slate Club' was a group who saved money in a common fund towards a specific purpose. For example, a small amount might be paid into the club each week, to be paid back in a lump sum at Christmas. The name derives from the early practice of keeping the accounts on a slate. Such clubs were often run by churches for the benefit of their poorer congregation.

Originally built in 1820 as a Congregationalist chapel called Holland Chapel, the building which was to become Christ Church, North Brixton was taken over as a proprietary chapel by the Reverend F Crossman. It became a Chapel of Ease to Saint Mark's Church, Kennington and when in 1855 Canon McConnell Hussey became its minister, he converted the leasehold land to freehold. He also arranged to have the district formed into a separate parish and to have the church consecrated, reseated and enlarged by the addition of an apse at his own expense. The church was consecrated on 9 October 1855. In 1891 the Reverend W. R Mowll was appointed. He was responsible for the building of a parish hall and the rebuilding of the old church which, dilapidated beyond repair, was closed in 1899 and demolished. The new church was consecrated by the Bishop of Rochester on 5 December 1902.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Slate and Loan Club of Christ Church, North Brixton, including annual balance sheets; rules of the Club; correspondence concerning the dissolution of the Club; and notes by the Secretary and President of the Club on its history.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

A/CBS-1: Balance sheets;
A/CBS-2: Rules and admission records;
A/CBS-3: Papers concerning dissolution of society;
A/CBS-4: Notes.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in the London County Record Office [now LMA], 28 February, 1963.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For records of the Parish of Christ Church, North Brixton see reference P85/CTC2.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING