AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

BEAUFOY TRUST AND ELDON SCHOOL, LAMBETH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/BFY
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: BEAUFOY TRUST AND ELDON SCHOOL, LAMBETH
Date(s): 1851-1946
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.30 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Lambeth Ragged Schools Society
The Beaufoy Trusts Eldon School | Lambeth

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Beaufoy Trust: In 1850 Henry Beaufoy erected school buildings in Doughty Street Lambeth on land purchased from the London and South Western Railway Company. From 1851 to 1872 the schools were managed by the Committee of the Lambeth Ragged Schools Society and consisted of a day school, a Sunday school and meetings and elementary classes on evenings of weekdays. The building and land remained the property of the trustees. In 1872 the day school was transferred to the School Board for London which used the building until 1880. The Committee of the Lambeth Ragged Schools Society retained the use of the premises for a Sunday School, evening classes and meetings.

Following an inquiry by the Charity Commissioners a report was presented in 1878. Although the Charity Commissioners and the trustees doubted whether the Lambeth Ragged Schools Society could carry on the schools according to the wishes of the founder, a temporary scheme was established 18 September 1883. Philanthropic work of various kinds was carried on at this time but the educational nature of the work was limited. A new scheme was therefore created 8th November 1889, under the title of The Beaufoy Trusts. The trustees continued to permit the use of the school building by the Lambeth Ragged Schools Society for social and philanthropic work which included a Sunday School and other classes for the poor of the district.

In 1898 the school building was disposed of and a new institute was erected on a site in Princes Road and Vauxhall Street. In 1909 it was transferred to the London County Council for use as a technical day school for boys, and for evening classes. From 1 January 1946 a secondary technical school, the Borough - Beaufoy County Secondary School was established, derived from the Borough Polytechnic Junior Technical School and the Beaufoy Junior Technical Day School. In September 1964 the Beaufoy School (a new county secondary school,) was opened in Lollard Street, London, SB11.

Eldon School: Eldon School was founded by Charles Francis in 1829 and a schoolroom and master's residence were erected in Wandsworth Road. In 1847 it was established as a charity. The school was conducted as a public elementary school under the management of a Committee consisting of the trustees (including the Vicar of St Anne's, South Lambeth) and others. In 1891 the school was heavily in debt and the Vicar of St Anne's was unwilling to keep it open as a day school. It was therefore closed in 1891 and the premises used for Sunday school classes, a lad's institute, and various classes. From 7 April 1905 the Hill, Eldon and Francis Foundation was administered by the Beaufoy Trust. By an order of the Board of Education 9 January 1907 the Governors of the Hill, Eldon and Francis Foundation were authorised to sell the Eldon School. It seems likely that the sale took place in 1908 and the proceeds were added to the capital endowment of the Foundation.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Beaufoy Trust, including minutes, financial accounts and letters. Also minute book of the Hill, Eldon and Francis Foundation.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1966.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also the records of the LCC Education Officer's Department (ref. LCC/EO/HFE) for the Beaufoy Institute and the parish records of St Anne's South Lambeth for Eldon School (ref. P85/ANN.)


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING