AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0370 WFD/WT
Held at: Queen Mary, University of London
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1908-2010
Level of description: Sub-fonds of Westfield College Archives
Extent: 19 boxes
Name of creator(s): Westfield Trust
Detailed catalogue: Click here to view repository detailed catalogue


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Westfield Trust was established on 1 Nov 1988 for charitable purposes connected with Westfield College and Queen Mary and Westfield College. The creation of the Trust resulted from an agreement made in Mar 1987 to fully merge Westfield College and Queen Mary College with the gradual transfer of all activities to the Mile End site. In order to preserve something of the original intentions of the founders of Westfield College, both Colleges agreed to form the Westfield Trust.

Prior to the establishment of the Westfield Trust, another charitable trust had existed; the Westfield College Development Trust. The Development Trust was established in 1979 to raise funds for the College and support projects. This included the Centenary Appeal which funded a new hall of residence. With the announcement of a merger between Westfield College and Queen Mary College, no further fund raising was undertaken. With the creation of the Westfield Trust in 1988, it was decided in Jul 1989 to dissolve the Development Trust, with all of its assets being transferred to the Westfield Trust.

The Westfield Trust had representation on the new College Council and provided financial support for capital and smaller projects within the College. Projects supported by the Trust include the College Nursery, academic visitor accommodation, restoration of the Octagon, refurbishment of the Great Hall in the People's Palace, and the Westfield Student Village, as well as the provision of research studentships and bursaries.

In 2008 the decision was taken that the Trust had met its objectives and should be wound down. On 31 Jul 2009 all Trust assets and liabilities were formally transferred to the College. The final meeting of the Trust took place on 30 Nov 2009.

Chairman of the Westfield Trust:

Lord Jenkin of Roding, 1989-1999; Francis Vernon McClure, 1999-2009

Secretary to the Westfield Trust:

Michael Sumner, 1989-1995; Brian Murphy, 1995-2009


Scope and content/abstract:

This sub-fonds contains the records of the Westfield Trust, 1908-2010.

It comprises records relating to the pre-history and establishment of the Trust, 1979-2000, including the foundation of the Trust, and the Westfield College Development Trust; minutes and associated papers of Westfield Trust meetings, 1989-2009; annual reports and financial statements, 1988-2009; records relating to the endowments and bequests of the Trust, 1908-2004, including bequests and legacies, use of proceeds of sale, and Agreement Funds; minutes, associated papers, and correspondence of the Westfield Trust Investment Committee, 1989-2009; records relating to the tangible assets of the Trust, 1989-2004, including furniture, paintings, silverware, and property; records relating to projects, prizes, and scholarships funded by the Trust, 1965-1993, including the Ruth Owen Travelling Scholarship, Westfield Trust Prizes, and research studentships; and administrative correspondence, 1989-2010, including representation on the College Council, consultation mechanisms, and the decision to dissolve the Trust.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

This sub-fonds has been arranged by function, chronologically, and, where possible, respecting the original order of the records.

It has been divided into 8 series: establishment and pre-history of the Trust; minutes; annual reports and financial statements; endowments and bequests; Westfield Trust Investment Committee; Trust assets; projects, prizes and scholarships; and administrative correspondence.

Conditions governing access:

The Archives are available for access in the Archives Reading Room located on the 2nd Floor of the Mile End Library. The Archives Reading Room is open Mondays to Fridays 9am-4pm by appointment only. Contact the Archives for more information: Archives, Main Library QMUL, 328 Mile End Rd, London E1 4NS, telephone: 020 7882 3873, email: For more information about the Archives see the website:

Conditions governing reproduction:

Photocopying at the discretion of the Archivist. Applications for copies for research or publication should be made to the Archivist: Main Library QMUL, 328 Mile End Rd, London E1 4NS, telephone: 020 7882 7873, email:

Finding aids:

A detailed catalogue is available in the Archives Reading Room, or downloadable from the Archives website,

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Transferred to Queen Mary College in 1989.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Westfield College Archives, early 16th century - 2010.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Catalogued by Toni Hardy, July 2010.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
September 2010

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"