AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 Q/BRN
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: BARNES
Date(s): 1870-1936
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Various.


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Philip was situated on Granville Square, Clerkenwell. It was designed by Edward Buckton Lamb between 1831 and 1833. After only 25 years the church had been undermined by the building of the Metropolitan Railway and had to be repaired, re-opening in 1860. The last marriage register was closed in 1936 on the union of the parish with the Church of the Holy Redeemer, Exmouth Market.

The church of Holy Trinity on Grays Inn Road was designed by Sir James Pennethorne and erected in 1837. It seated 1500 people. Restored in 1880, it reopened in 1881. It was closed during the 1914-1918 war but was in use again by 1921; before finally closing in 1928. Holy Trinity parish was created from the parish of Saint Andrew, Holborn in 1839. The parish and benefice were united with Saint George the Martyr, Queen Square in 1931. Holy Trinity church was closed with the intention of demolishing the church and selling the site.

St Mary's Church, Greenwich, was demolished in 1936.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records relating to various London churches, including mortgage and plans for Saint Philip, Clerkenwell; plans of Saint Mary, Greenwich; sales particulars and plans for Holy Trinity, Grays Inn Road, Saint Pancras; and sales particulars and plans for Saint Mary, Charing Cross Road, Westminster.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Documents arranged by church.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records donated by GL Barnes in December 1962.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For St Philip Clerkenwell see P76/PHI. For Holy Trinity Grays Inn Road see P82/TRI2. Records of St Mary Charing Cross Road are held at Westminster City Archives.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"