AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ENGLISH CHURCH, GENEVA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/354
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ENGLISH CHURCH, GENEVA
Date(s): 1817-1829;1920-1932
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3 production units.
Name of creator(s): English Church | Geneva, Switzerland

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

The Anglican church in Geneva, Holy Trinity, was constructed in 1853.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the English Church, Geneva, Switzerland, comprising: register of baptisms, marriages and burials, 1817-29 (Ms 10926A/1); orders of service, 1922 and 1933 (Ms 23514); and official regulations, 1920 (Ms 23515).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Ms 10926A/1 was deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section by the London Diocesan Registry in 1963. Ms 23514-15 were deposited by the Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe in 1988. They were catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff in 1985 and 1988. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also DL/E/E/026/10926B and DL/E/D/011/MS19230/26.

See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING