AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ENGLISH CHURCH, OSTEND

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/360
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ENGLISH CHURCH, OSTEND
Date(s): 1836-1998
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 13 production units.
Name of creator(s): English Church | Ostend, Belgium

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

There has been an English community and resident chaplain in Ostend since the late eighteenth century. In 1829 a chapel was handed over to Dutch and British Protestants by the Dutch government as a place of worship. In 1865 a new church was consecrated.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the English Church at Ostend, Belgium. They comprise registers of baptisms, marriages and burials 1836-1998 (Mss 34987-9), service registers 1904-67 (Ms 38537), register of donations 1860-70 (Ms 38538), cash books 1925-67 (Ms 38539) and miscellaneous papers 1863-1967 (Ms 38540).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1963, 2003 and 2006 and catalogued at various dates by members of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See CLC/350 for the Protestant Chapel, Ostend.

See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING