AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

MALAGA ANGLICAN CHAPLAINCY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/376
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: MALAGA ANGLICAN CHAPLAINCY
Date(s): 1842-1965
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 8 production units.
Name of creator(s): Malaga Anglican Chaplaincy | Spain

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

The Malaga Chaplaincy was formally established in 1850 when sufficient funds were raised to employ a chaplain. The British Consul had held services in his house for some years before 1850 and the chaplain continued to hold his services in the Consul's residence for most of the 19th century. A chapel was built in the 1890s beside the British cemetery.

Malaga was the first Anglican chaplaincy in Spain. Its congregation was described in the 19th century as consisting mainly of mechanics from the various British factories, with their families, augmented by sailors and invalids spending the winter in Malaga to improve their health.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Malaga Anglican Chaplaincy, Spain, comprising: register of baptisms, 1850-1899, marriage, 1853, and burials, 1850-1855 (Ms 29845); minutes, 1883-1893, 1909-1965 (Ms 29846); letter book, 1842-1867 (Ms 29847); and "donation book", 1850-1931 (Ms 29848). They were catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff in 1995.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

These records were deposited in Guildhall Library in 1995. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING