AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CASS SCHOOL

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/215-06
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CASS SCHOOL
Date(s): 1757-1975
Level of description: Collection
View parent record
Extent: 73 production units.
Name of creator(s): Sir John Cass's Foundation | Cass School

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Sir John Cass was interested in the (practical and religious) education, clothing and advancement of the poor children of Portsoken Ward. His school was opened in 1710, but a ward school was probably maintained by voluntary subscriptions from about 1689. The 1748 Chancery Scheme provided for 21 trustees, a schoolmaster to oversee 50 boys and a schoolmistress for 40 girls. The trustees were to provide the children with clothing and a daily dinner. Boys were to be given a suit of clothing and apprenticeship fee at 14 and girls received clothing when they went into service at the same age. The school built by Cass and the rooms used above the Aldgate were demolished when the Aldgate was pulled down for road widening. The trustees leased a house in Church Row from 1762 (previously used as a Quaker boarding school). The Cass School moved from Church Row in 1869 to 25 and 26 Jewry Street which the trustees bought and rebuilt as a school. By 1869 the school was attended by 110 boys and 90 girls, all Church of England, in receipt of free education, clothing and dinners. In 1871 the Foundation also supported a school in Church Row and an infant school in Goodman's Yard. The school in Church Row was open to any child over 7 residing in the parish. "Well conducted" children were encouraged to proceed to the Cass School in Jewry Street. The Church Row school was taken over by the School Board for London in 1890.The infant school in Goodman's Yard, was maintained by the Foundation from 1871-91.

The school in Jewry Street was demolished in 1898 and a new School and Institute Building erected on the site and adjacent property. In 1908 the School was transferred to a new building erected on a site extending from Duke Street to Mitre Street, surrounding the disused churchyard of St James Duke's Place, where it now remains as a Primary School. The 1944 Education Act required separate provision for primary and secondary education. As a result the Secondary School amalgamated with the Red Coat School, Stepney, to form the Sir John Cass's Foundation and Red Coat School in Stepney Way. Before 1895, there was little separation of the administration of the Cass School and the Cass charity. The schoolmaster acted as clerk to the trustees, writing letters and taking minutes of their meetings. Before 1870 when the school managers' minutes begin, the board minutes (Ms 31010) are much concerned with the school. In particular Ms 31010/4-14 include (unindexed) admissions of children 1758-1894. The minutes and accounts groups of the archive also include other records from 1720 which relate to the school.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records specifically relating to the Cass School, managed by the Sir John Cass's Foundation, comprising minutes, accounts, pupil registers, hymn sheets and photographs.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

CLC/215/MS31098 to MS/310124.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archive was deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section by the Foundation in 1995 (apart from Ms 19627-8). The records were catalogued by a member of the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING