AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HAMBURG ANGLICAN CHAPLAINCY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/364
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HAMBURG ANGLICAN CHAPLAINCY
Date(s): 1815-1939
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 12 production units.
Name of creator(s): Hamburg Anglican Chaplaincy | Germany

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

An Anglican church has existed in Hamburg since 1612, for the benefit of the merchants and traders based there. The present church, dedicated to Saint Thomas Becket, was founded in 1838.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Hamburg Anglican Chaplaincy, Germany, comprising: registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, 1815-1939 (Ms 25100-4); service registers, 1893-1922 (Ms 25105); book of subscriptions towards the building of the church, 1834-8 (Ms 25106); church record book, 1884-1914 (Ms 25107); and correspondence, papers and plans of the Committee, 1834-9 (Ms 25108). They were catalogued in 1992 by a member of Guildhall Library staff.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of St Michael and All Angels, which is the dedication of the Anglican chaplaincy at Hamburg, were deposited for safe keeping with the Consulate General in Hamburg in 1938-9. For many years these records were assumed to have disappeared during the war. They were transferred to Guildhall Library in 1992 through the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Library and Records Department. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING