AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/197
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1691-1912
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 20 production units.
Name of creator(s): French Protestant Church at St Martin Orgar
Freethinking Christians
Dutch Church, Colchester
Dutch Church, Norwich


Administrative/Biographical history:

This church of French protestants was established in ca. 1686 and was based at a number of addresses in the City of London, including Jewin Street and in Buckingham House on College Hill, before taking the lease of St Martin Orgar in 1699. This church, in St Martin's Lane, had been destroyed in the Fire of London and had not been rebuilt. The lease was surrendered and the church closed in 1834.


Scope and content/abstract:

Collection of records relating to non-established religion in London, including papers of the Freethinking Christians, the Dutch churches in Colchester and Norwich and St Martin Orgar French Church. The record of the latter comprise minutes, lists of members and seatholders, and financial material.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

MS 00994-1000, 01161: St Martin Orgar French Church; MS 02199: Freethinking Christians; MS 07384-85: Dutch Church.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of the St Martin Orgar French Church were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1901, with the parish records of St Clement Eastcheap. They were catalogued by members of Guildhall Library staff. The volumes relating to the Dutch churches in Colchester and Norwich were deposited with the records of the Dutch Church, Austin Friars in 1952. They were catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

A brief history of the French church and a transcript of the baptism registers for 1698-1762 and the marriage registers for 1698-1751 can be found in the Publications of the Huguenot Society of London (Vol 37, 1935).

The volumes relating to the Dutch churches in Colchester and Norwich have been printed in Huguenot Society Publications vol.12 (1905), which includes copies of other documents relating to the Dutch community at Colchester and Norwich, and an index of names.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"