AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CASTLE BAYNARD WARD SCHOOL

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/217
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CASTLE BAYNARD WARD SCHOOL
Date(s): 1753-1835
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3 production units.
Name of creator(s): Castle Baynard Ward School

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The City of London was divided into wards for the purpose of government as early as Norman times. The wards had responsibility to keep the peace, supervise trade and oversee sanitation, and each ward has the right to elect an Alderman and Commoners to sit in the Court of Common Council. Castle Baynard Ward is bounded on the north and west by Farringdon Ward Within, on the east by Queenhithe and Bread Street wards, and on the south by the River Thames.

The ward school is believed to have been established in the middle of the 18th century by subscription, and used a school-house on Sermon Lane. In 1875 it merged with the Vintry and Queenhithe Ward Schools, and the combined schools were administered by the National Society. The combined schools continued to use the Sermon Lane premises as the school-house for girls and infants and used the premises in Brickhill Lane, Upper Thames Street, formerly used by Vintry Ward School for boys.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Castle Baynard Ward School, comprising Trustees minute books.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Three volumes in chronological order.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The volumes were deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1959. They were catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See CLC/W/HB for records of Castle Baynard Ward; CLC/W/OA for Vintry Ward and CLC/W/MA for Queenhithe Ward.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING