AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, SLIEMA, MALTA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/365
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, SLIEMA, MALTA
Date(s): 1898-1993
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 17 production units.
Name of creator(s): Holy Trinity Anglican Church | Sliema, Malta

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

The chaplaincy was established in 1866 when the foundation stone of Holy Trinity was laid. The growing British community in Sliema had been worshipping in the cathedral in Valletta until funds were raised to build and endow a church and vicarage. In April 1866 a villa and adjoining land was acquired, and a church was built which was consecrated in April 1867. The villa became the vicarage and from 1905 has been known as the Bishop's House.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Service registers for Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Sliema, Malta.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Volumes arranged in chronological order.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The service registers were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in March 1997. They were catalogued in 1997 by a member of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Other records are held locally - enquire at the information area for details.

See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.


Publication note:

A pamphlet on the history of the church, Holy Trinity, Sliema, Malta by Margaret Weaver, 1989, is held in the Printed Books Section of the Guildhall Library.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING